TIMOTHY CHRISTIAN INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM
Psalm 22:27 tells us that “all the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him.” Timothy is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students, and celebrates this reminder of God’s sovereignty over all the nations of the world. We welcome international students and have established our World View international student program to increase cultural diversity on our campus.
All students are challenged to grow as academically prepared Christian disciples, but there are also many opportunities in and out of the classroom to share perspectives and traditions that reflect the nationalities and heritages of students.
Together we extend and deepen our global awareness and appreciation for all of God’s creation. In recent years the international student program at Timothy Christian High School has consisted of students from Denmark, Italy, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam and China.
Timothy Christian High School welcomes international students who are:
- academically motivated and responsible
- reasonably skilled in English (submission of TOEFL Jr. Comprehensive or iTEP Slate Plus tests are a required part of the process)
- willing to participate in extra-curricular activities
- eager to learn about and share world cultures and traditions
- respectful of differences in world cultures and values
- flexible as new members of a host family
- Application (must also include mailing address and phone number of person authorized to receive mail on behalf of applicant)
- Copy of Passport
- Transcripts (two most recent years) If in language other than English, must provide an official translation.
- Letters of Recommendation (2)
- English Proficiency Test Scores (TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or , iTEP Slate Plus)
- Student’s Introductory Essays (written in English)
- Pictures (student, family) with Captions
- Application Fee ($250)
Minimum English proficiency scores
- Note: with all of these, it’s not an automatic “in” at the minimum score. Must take good look at subscores and have interview.
- iTEP Slate Plus- 5 (or 4.5 depending on sub-scores)
- TOEFL IBT- 65 Minimum -depending on sub-scores
- IELTS- 5.5
- TOEFL Jr. 845
The Timothy Advantage for our International Students
- College Preparatory Classes: 100% college acceptance rate
- Strong Academic Rigor: AP, Dual Credit, Honors and more
- College and Career Guidance
- Half price discounts on all online classes with a grade of C or better
- Monthly Activities (indoor skydiving, virtual reality, etc)
- Mentor Program (HS Faculty member)
- Academic Support, ESL, Tutoring
- Host Families Available
- Renew – unique January term (Internships Available)
- ACT/SAT class preparation fees covered
- Birthday lunches of your choice
- Specific counseling for individual needs
- Within 20 minutes of Chicago O’hare International Airport
- Access to local prestigious universities (University of Chicago, Northwestern, U of I)
Become an International Host Family
The World View International Student Program exists to build relationships and foster understanding between diverse cultures. No role is more important than that of our host families. While our high school can offer an authentic American high school experience, through our host families we can provide a unique Christian family experience to our international students. Whether they are hosting for a school year or during our short term summer programs, the importance of our host families cannot be overstated.
Families from the Timothy community decide to host for a variety of reasons. Some are looking to provide a cross-cultural experience for their own family, while others have a desire to minister to young people with all that God has blessed them. From families with school-age children to empty-nesters, families in all seasons of life are welcome!
- While the majority of our students come from China and South Korea, we have had students from other countries.
- A host family’s commitment is for one year with an opportunity to continue, if the family desires.
- Host families provide room and board and receive financial compensation or tuition credit to cover expenses.
- The student’s natural parents provide for all other expenses, i.e., spending money, toiletries, school supplies etc.
- Host families can request a preference for a male or female.
- The World View program provides orientation, monthly activities, student dinners, group tutoring, etc. for students.
- The World View program provides a host parent orientation and quarterly host parent meetings.
- The World View coordinator is on call to serve host families and students during the school year with any issue that may arise.
- Host families are not expected to manage their student’s grades or academic issues.
- Regardless of the students’ religious backgrounds, they are required to participate in all family church activities
If you have any questions or would like more information about our International Student Program or becoming a Host family, please contact our International Program Director, Mr. Ryan DeKoekkoek at firstname.lastname@example.org and he will be happy to assist you!